Kufta is a meatball dish traditional to many regions, including North Africa, the Middle East, South Asia and the Balkans. This version incorporates whole grains and fragrant spices.
Moroccan Kufta with Mint Yogurt Sauce
• 2/3 cup brown rice
• 2 carrots, finely diced
• 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
• 1 small yellow onion, grated
• 8 ounces extra lean ground sirloin
• 4 cloves garlic, minced, divided
• 1 egg white, lightly whisked
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, divided
• 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
• 1 small yellow onion, chopped
• 1 fresh lemon, zested and juiced
• 1 teaspoon curry powder
• 1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
• 1/4 cup fresh mint, finely chopped
1. Cook rice according to package directions. Stir in carrots during last 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, to large bowl add bread crumbs, grated onion, 1/2 of garlic, egg white, cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Form mixture into 4 equal rounds and thread each onto 1 wooden skewer. Gently press mixture around skewer, forming a cylindrical shape. Let rest for 5 minutes.
3. In large saucepan, heat oil on medium. Add chopped onion and saute, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add lemon juice, curry powder and salt. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 4 minutes. Add 1/2 of remaining garlic and cook 1 more minute. Add mixture to rice and toss to combine. Set aside.
4. Prepare sauce: Mix together yogurt, mint, remaining garlic, and 2 tablespoons lemon zest until well blended. Set aside. Cook skewered beef on grill pan or outdoor grill coated with cooking spray until cooked through, about 6 minutes per side. Divide rice among plates, top with beef skewers and serve with sauce.
Make It A Meal
CHC suggestion: This Recipe Provides a Complete Meal