One of the USDA’s top 20 antioxidant-rich foods, artichokes are rich in folate, fiber and vitamins C and K.
Cod with Artichoke Hearts
• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 1 small onion, thinly sliced
• 1 9-ounce box frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
• 1/4 pound shiitake mushrooms
• 2 carrots, diced
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained
• 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
• sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
• 2 tablespoons fresh chives, snipped
• 4-6 ounce skinless cod fillets
• lemon wedges, for garnish
1. In large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high. Add onion, artichokes, mushrooms, carrots and garlic, and cook until browned, 7 minutes. Add chickpeas and broth, season with salt and pepper, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender and most of liquid is evaporated, about 5 minutes. Stir in parsley and chives, and keep warm.
2. In another large skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high until very hot. Season cod with salt and pepper. Add to skillet and cook until well browned on bottom, about 6 minutes. Carefully flip and continue cooking until cooked through, about 3 more minutes. Divide vegetables among 4 individual bowls or plates, and top with cod fillets. Serve with lemon wedges.
Make It A Meal
CHC suggestion: Whole Wheat Couscous